The Women in Surgery Symposium (WIS), an annual event that serves to promote leadership among female surgeons and women working in the medical field. Available for both professionals and for academic studies, the event allows women to network with colleagues and foster mentorship. This past year’s event took place in February 2016.
Sharona B. Ross, MD, FACS, was the chair for this year’s WIS, which took place over two full days in February, at the Caribe Royale All-Suite Hotel and Convention Center in Orlando.
Wis Workshops and Presentations
During each event, WIS discusses a broad range of topics in the surgical practice, particularly with regards to the unique challenges that women face in the field. All attendees are given the opportunity to meet with and have conversations with some of the leading surgeons and pioneers in the evolution and refinement of surgical techniques. WIS will highlight various women who have had significant achievements in surgery.
Some of the topics discussed during this years WIS include the following:
- Interview techniques for undergraduate and graduate students
- Advice for students who are planning to reply for a surgical residency in the U.S.
- Finance and planning for attendees who wished to grow their own surgical practice
- The current role that women have in surgery and what obstacles they might face
- How a surgeon can build her personal brand and persona in the practice
- Coping methods, stress-relieving skills, and additional skills for networking in a practice traditionally dominated by men
- Foster an appreciation of the strides women have made to demand equal pay for equal work
- Leadership roles women can strive to achieve in the surgical field, including the American College of Surgeons
- What the future of surgery looks like in the future
Dr. Ross and our team at Florida Hospital Tampa have long been pioneers in the field of minimally invasive surgery and laparoscopic surgery. She continuously strives to remain at the forefront in surgical practices, and applies that insight to our practice here at Florida Hospital Tampa. We are proud to have board-certified surgeon, Dr. Ross lend her expertise, knowledge, and leadership skills to the Women’s in Surgery Symposium.
Do you have questions about our procedures? Would you like to make an appointment? Contact our Tampa surgeons today by calling Call813-615-7030.